How To Start A Podcast?
Everyone that has great interest in the production of content, starting and growing a business, building a brand, selling a product or provide service should know about the appropriate steps to start podcast on various platforms such as iTunes, Soundcloud, Spotify, Sticher, iHeart, Radio, Google Play etc. The creation of podcast plays a crucial role in marketing, several people keep asking about the process and this is the reason for this content.
For more than two years, I have been stressing the amazing power of podcast as well as voice technology. The use of podcasts and audio-first consumption is increasing at an alarming rate because they are one of the key ways to get started with the creation of content for your business, service or product. I have also written an article titles “The Rise of Audio and Voice” which you can read so as to have a good understanding.
With the continuous growth of multitasking culture, podcasts take on more essential role in our everyday life. Each and everyone care about the way his/her time is spent and if there is any means to save time, we would definitely do it. Just like music or audiobooks, podcasts can be consumed while doing laundry, going to the gym, washing the dishes, or just relaxing. They provide an amazing opportunity through which something new can be learnt, be well informed or get entertained.
I receive nothing less than dozens of emails every week asking me how I produce various podcast as well as the latest addition which is a new show made directly for my audio experience. Thus, the best thing I could ever thought is to ask my audio engineer Chris to give you his POV as well as the knowledge which he gained since he handled the production of the podcast. No other person can give a better explanation than him.
Hi – I’m Chris!
I have been playing with audio for a long period of time and I have learnt a lot of thing, but most of these are learned through trial and error.
If you have been thinking about the appropriate approach to scale your content, I’ll show you the steps we take in creating podcasts.
What is a podcast?
A podcast is a piece of digital audio content which is available for download or streaming on mobile devices as well as computers.
The necessary things required to start a podcast
When it comes to creating podcast, the only thing which is required is a cell phone or computer, an internet connection as well as topic to discuss about.
The general workflow for creating podcast:
Ideate, Record, Edit, Upload.
- The Idea and Outline for Starting A Podcast: One you have a topic you want to create a podcast on, before you start recording about the topic, ensure you relax and think about the way you want the podcast to flow. Do you want it to be segmented? Is it you alone or along with a friend? Do you want to invite guests? Remote interviews? Is it more like a talk show? You should start thinking about a cadence so that your listeners would know the exact thing to expect from you in the coming episodes of the podcast. Once you have addressed this, you can then move to the next step.
- The Basics of Starting A Podcast: The simplest way through which a podcast can be started is with the aid of smartphone, this is achieved with the aid of an application called Anchor. The anchor is a new application which can be used for creating podcast, but this app is more than a podcasting application. Right now, they are looking forward to revamp the audio space so that you can have space for personal talk show, using short form of audio, long form of audio, music etc. You can likewise interview friends directly in-app and publish it to iTunes. However, you need to create an account with Anchor before you start recording, once this is done you can follow the instructions so as distribute your podcast across other platforms.
- The Equipment Required for Creating Podcast: When it comes to the appropriate equipment needed for creating a podcast, the smartphone would be appropriate but it is also crucial to get some audio equipment because they would enhance the quality of the sound thereby making the sound audible. This kit is a great example of a starter kit, and it’ll allow you to record with up to two microphones simultaneously. You’ll also record directly into your computer from the Focusrite interface with the aid of two Audio Technica mics. Apart from the Focusrite interface you can likewise use Zoom H4n, which records to an SD card rather than a computer. You’ll also plug the mics directly into it, and then put the SD card into your computer so as to get the raw files off after recording.
- Recording and Editing A Podcast: My favourite free audio recording and editing software is Audacity but GarageBand can also be used on Apple computer, or Adobe Audition if you are making use of Creative Cloud. The recording as well as editing is similar across all the three platforms but I will focus mainly on Audacity because it works on Mac or PC. To get started, plug the audio interface to your computer. Plug the mics into the interface, and set up Audacity to record from them. You can then hit record so as to get started with the recording. You can check This guide so as to see the tutorials of things to watch out for in Audacity when recording and the appropriate steps to fix things such as noise and plosives. Once you are through with the recording, you can start with the editing. During the editing, ensure you focus on cutting up any unusual silence as well as other things you don’t want in your final podcast. Once you are through with these, the file can be exported. If you are making use of Audacity, you’ll need to read this to export so as to export as MP3 format.
- How to Distribute A Podcast: Before publishing a podcast, a brilliant approach is to have three to five episodes ready for distribution at the same time, especially for iTunes, this is because more than one episode will help in getting the listener hooked. Additionally, this will give a little lead time so as to create new content.
Once you are ready to upload the content of your podcast so that everyone can hear, the two main component which are essential include distribution or hosting service as well as podcatchers. The distribution or hosting service hosts your files for anyone who aim to download it while generating an RSS feed which “podcatchers” read so as to know the appropriate place to download the file as well as information about the podcast. Each distribution platform can be used to achieve the same thing but it is crucial for you to read up so as to decide what fits your need.